Thursday, June 3, 2010

It Takes Discipline and a Partner

Changing your diet completely is tough. I’m not going to lie. The book we followed gave us the tools and information we needed, but without discipline and a partner we would not have been successful.

Self-discipline is not something we already had. We developed it along the way. I’d say R is more disciplined than I am. It is very difficult for me to pass up dessert when it is offered to me. R suggested that we approach the lifestyle change through prayer and that is exactly what we did.

I could not have been successful at losing 45 lbs without R. A partner is definitely the key to being successful. We plan our meals for the week together and grocery shop together. R actually keeps me in check without having to say anything. Since I know he is eating all the right foods, I'm motivated to do the same.

After praying for the discipline, the next step was to rid our house of all bad food. The book had a great section with information on this. We went through the pantry and gave away macaroni and cheese and pop tarts to my sister who was in college at the time, and our refrigerator was nearly bare once we were finished. If there is not any bad food in the house to eat when you get that craving, you won’t eat it.

We also found that it was important to be able to track your success. R had a Wii and Wii Fit to go along with it. In fact, we’d had it for about a year and had used it only a few times. R used it and still uses it just about everyday for his morning workout. I mainly used it to keep track of my weight and BMI. It allows you to set goals and charts your progress. Seeing your progress is very rewarding and gives you the motivation to keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment