Friday, June 18, 2010

Pizza!

I have an obsession with pizza. Honestly, I could eat it everyday. Before we changed our diet, I used to eat pepperoni pizza A LOT. When I was in elementary school, we always had pizza on Friday nights. That is still ingrained in me and Fridays make me think of pizza, hence today's blog topic.

I knew there was no way I could stick to our new way of eating without fitting pizza into it some way. Fortunately, there is a pizza recipe in You on a Diet that uses a thin whole wheat crust. We've tried many different products for our whole wheat crust. Whole wheat pita bread doesn't get crispy enough for me before it burns. Whole wheat tortillas are too thin, but whole wheat Naan makes a great pizza crust! It has a wonderful flavor and gets crispy before burning.

The recipe in the book says to use mozzarella cheese made with skim milk. R measures the cheese to exactly the amount the recipe calls for. I love cheese so I just eyeball it. I make sure there is enough to cover my pizza.

Veggie pizzas are great! It is fun to go to the store and pick out the different veggies to put on your pizza. Right now our favorite are Texas sweet onions, yellow squash, zucchini, garlic, and tomatoes.

Long gone are the days of pepperoni on my pizza. I don't even miss that greasy stuff! I ordered a whole wheat crust pizza from a restaurant by my office recently. The pizza on the menu had all veggies on it plus pepperoni. I forgot to tell them to hold the pepperoni so I spent some time picking off the ones I could see. I didn't get all those boogers, though. After a few bites, I got a pepperoni and it was the most salty thing I'd tasted in a long time. I seriously could not swallow it.

There is a great restaurant at Market Street in the Woodlands called Pizza By Marco. They have a yummy veggie pizza that they will make on a whole wheat crust for just a dollar more. R and I love to go there, split a pizza, and head next door to Red Mango to split a parfait.

One of the great things about changing our eating habits is getting to see foods we have always eaten in a new light. It is great to find that some of our old favorites can still be our favorites if we just modify them to be healthier. What kind of veggies do you like on your pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment