Friday, June 11, 2010

Soft Drinks

R drank A LOT of Dr. Pepper before we decided to change our diet. I drank one every now and then. My drink of choice is usually iced tea. However, sometimes you want to drink something sweet and carbonated. In the beginning we tried to cut out soft drinks completely, but there are a few great diet soft drinks that taste close to the real deal.

The taste of Diet Dr. Pepper is very close to the original Dr. Pepper. There is a slight aftertaste, but it satisfies my craving for a soft drink. I usually grab one a couple times a week in the afternoons at work for the caffeine boost.

Coke Zero is probably closer to the real deal than Diet Dr. Pepper. You don't know how much it hurts to say that...Being a native Texan, I'm a Dr. Pepper fan all the way, but Coke wins this battle. Surprisingly Coke Zero is available at a lot of restaurants. Next time you go out to eat, ask for it.

Even better than Coke Zero, is a Diet A&W Root Beer. There is not even the slightest hint that this is a diet soft drink, except for the labeling. R recently had one for the first time and has claimed it to be the winner amongst the diet soft drinks. I agree. If you're drinking a soft drink for the caffeine, though, you won't find it here. A&W Root Beer does not contain caffeine, which makes it okay for me to drink after dinner. It is also hard to find at most gas stations and even HEB was out of the cans last week. Someone else must know the secret...

What diet soft drinks do you like to drink? Are they close to the original?

2 comments:

  1. Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper jumped to the very top of my list this year. A-ma-zing. But I'm a fan of Coke Zero too (and Cherry Coke Zero), and now that I'm off caffeine, Diet A&W is a pretty good fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about Diet A&W root beer! Though my diet drink of choice is usually diet coke.

    I'm loving the blog by the way! You and Ryan look great and your health tips are very fun to read!

    ReplyDelete