Friday, June 4, 2010

It's More About the Carrots than the Treadmill

In the past whenever I’ve felt I needed to lose weight, I would begin working out. In fact, I was running on the treadmill pretty regularly in 2008. I lost some weight; nothing near 45 lbs though.

R and I have learned that weight loss is more about what you eat. I’ve heard before that for every mile you run you burn about 100 calories. 100 calories??? A decent chocolate chip cookie is more than 100 calories. I’ve also heard that you have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.

Okay, so I lost 45 lbs:

45lbs X 3500 calories = 157,500 calories

157,500 calories / 100 calories = 1,575 miles

That is a lot of miles and it is assuming that I’m burning every calorie I’m consuming each day as well. It’s no wonder that people work out like crazy and hardly ever meet their weight loss goals. Truthfully, I did not work out regularly until after I lost the 45 lbs.

Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit. Your body must burn more calories than what you consume. You on a Diet guided us through eating lower calorie foods to create the deficit we needed to lose weight, but we did not feel like we were starving ourselves while we were doing it.

Snacking on foods high in fiber and protein helped to curb our hunger in between meals. Almonds with fruit are one of our favorite snacks. Kashi also makes some wonderful snack bars that are good to keep around. It’s all about making smarter choices about what you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment